German Language Classes
The German International School (GIS) is proud to offer German language classes throughout the school year. We have a variety of classes that meet a variety of needs and age-groups.
For GIS Alumni, these ongoing German classes allow an opportunity to connect with friends and to continue to improve their German language proficiency.
If you have questions regarding a language class or would like to sign up, please email GIS or call (503) 626-9089.
Adult Language Classes
All classes are taught by a native or near native German speaker and include various, rotating cultural topics and activities for each session. The cultural experience involves learning some aspect of German culture and an opportunity to practice speaking skills and/or build vocabulary.
Adult classes are taught at four levels:
Please note: You must be 21 in order to enroll in our Adult Classes.
- Session l: September 18, 2018 - January 15, 2019; No Class 11/22, 12/25, 1/1/19
- Session II: February 5, 2019 – May 21, 2019; No Class: 3/26
Teen Language Classes
Our teen classes are designed for students entering 6th grade with a good basis of German language skills. Their goal is to maintain and improve the students’ German language skills in a fun and social setting while working together on a project that involves media technology.
These teen classes will:
- engage students in activities that require using their German language skills
- expose students to authentic online/virtual experiences
- focus on engaging with alumni, practicing and expanding their German while accomplishing a project
- September 12, 2018 – January 16, 2019
Cost: $250 per session
Teen Language Classes
9th graders are welcome in the DSDII after passing the DSDI test with very good results. They will be able to take the DSDII test when they are in grade 11 or when they are 16 years old.
DSD Language Classes
DSD Language Courses are designed to help prepare students for taking the German standardized tests and are broken down into two separate courses:
DSDI Prep Class
- designed for those students in 7th and 8th grades with very good German language skills
- prepares students to pass the written and oral components of the DSDI German language standardized test
- Students will be exposed to authentic online/virtual experiences and will be expected to do some homework
- Two year cycle w/1st year being less work, focusing on reading, presentations, building vocabulary; 2nd year intense focus on writing, former tests to practice format
- September 12th , 2018– January 16th, 2019
- Written test in March / April
- Oral test in April/May (testing dates set by German Government; might interfere with Spring Break plans)
- Registration for tests is in Mid-December
Cost: $330 per session
DSDII Prep Class
- geared towards High School students (in 10th-12th grades) with advanced German speaking abilities.
- course will prepare students for the written and oral components of the language entrance exams for German universities (DSDII), German Language Tests for College Admission of Foreign Students, and/or the American AP and/or AATG tests
- features an extremely small class
- students will be expected to participate in discussions, work activly in class, and do homework on a regular basis.
- Two year cycle w/1st year being less work, focusing on reading, presentations, building vocabulary (Sternchenthemen); 2nd year intense focus on writing, former tests to practice format
- September 5th, 2018 – January 5th, 2019
- Written test November 28, 2018
- Oral testing January 5, 2019