We believe in educating the whole child
The German International School provides an ideal learning environment for German, American, and international students and families. We focus on the whole child and their intellectual, social and emotional development.
In Elementary school students continue the journey they started in Preschool and Kindergarten by connecting their personal experiences into classroom learning. We implement multi-disciplinary content topics using inquiry-based learning and authentic assessment. Our teachers differentiate instruction for learning groups to allow for meaningful learning.
All students participate in German as a second language instruction (DaF) as part of their regular schedule. This class supports language learning in a more structured way, and where applicable, is connected to current classroom themes.
The Elementary Program at GIS builds on:
- The competency-oriented curricula from Thuringia, Germany – in alignment with the German Schools of North America.
- The curriculum framework of the International Baccalaureate (IB) Primary Years Programme.
- Builds on elements of the U.S. Common Core standards in English, Math and Science.
- Integrated German language acquisition from Preschool through 5th grade.
Throughout the learning process, students are encouraged to ask questions, investigate, reflect, and make meaningful connections. These learning competencies are a continue through 5th grade to ensure that students develop into knowledgeable, articulate, and respectful global citizens.
Elementary Curriculum (1st - 5th grades)
- Rigorous academic core curriculum which is integrated with the arts.
- All students participate in music, art and PE classes several times per week. Once a week, they learn about social and emotional success in our Second Step program.
- Culturally diverse environment that enriches everyday learning.
- Inquiry-based approach to learning through hands-on, student-centered activities that expand beyond the conventional classroom. Students have opportunities to continue to explore and apply concepts outside their classroom during field trips several times per year.
- Opportunity to demonstrate proficiency in German language acquisition through participation in the German Language Diploma (Sprachdiplom, typically in 3rd and 5th grade).
- German Standards: As part of the our immersion philosophy and in alignment with the German Schools of North America, GIS uses the Thuringian educational standards as a guideline for fulfilling the German curriculum K-5. Students take a comprehensive German language exam in 3rd and 5th grade.
We believe in bilingualism
We believe that all students benefit from learning a second language. Our students – native and non-native speakers – learn together through meaningful activities and projects to connect learning to life and build a strong foundation for independent learning.
If you are looking for a bilingual education that fulfills the needs of internationally minded students, GIS could be the perfect fit for your family.
Learning at the German International School
Designed for children to play, explore, and discover in a safe, nurturing, hands-on environment.
Children continue their journey by connecting their personal experiences into classroom learning.