We believe in educating the whole child
Our Kindergarten focuses on teaching students to become confident and independent learners while providing a hands-on learning environment. It’s an exciting time for students as they learn to find and express their own unique voices.
Our Kindergarten Curriculum
Our curriculum is built on an inquiry-based framework where the children expand on past experiences and explore areas of interest. Concepts are based on the Educational Kindergarten Guidelines of Thuringia, Germany and the Common Core standards of Oregon.
The Kindergarten Program at GIS builds on:
- The competency-oriented curricula from Thuringia, Germany – in alignment with the German Schools of North America.
- The curriculum framework of the International Baccalaureate (IB) Primary Years Programme.
- Integrated German language acquisition from Preschool through 5th grade.
Language Learning in Kindergarten
- Children gain pre-literacy skills by learning to recognize and print the upper and lower case letters of the alphabet.
- Essential mathematical skills are developed through counting and sorting games and calendar recognition.
- Children explore the world around them through field trips and express themselves artistically and musically.
- Seasonal themes, songs, and stories all reinforce the child’s progress toward formal education in German.
Learning at the German International School
Designed for children to play, explore, and discover in a safe, nurturing, hands-on environment.
Children continue their journey by connecting their personal experiences into classroom learning.